Develop the Role of The Chairman
These triggers should start your search for a Chairman:
1. CEO sees that growth is possible but it will not happen easily in the existing structure
2. There is a looming problem that the status quo does not address
3. The business has grown to a size that requires external input to support the CEO/owner
4. There is a generational issue in a family business (owner passing control down to next generation)
5. Shareholders are insisting on a structured Board ( could be because one of a number of classic alarm signals has occurred).